Wiki CPT 37252 & 37253 clarification

deja53

Networker
Best answers
Provider states intravascular ultrasound performed of Rt common femoral, right external iliac, right popliteal, right tibioperoneal trunk, and right tibial. Based on my IVR book it states that the common femoral and external iliac are one vessel, so I would only assign one code (37252) for the IVUS of RT common femoral and right external iliac is that correct? Then for the right popliteal and right tibial it would be 37253 x 2 or does the tibioperoneal trunk also get 37253?

I agree with what you want to code, but I would say that the tibioperoneal trunk would be part of the popliteal artery. I would not code another 37253 for the TPT. If no interventional procedure was performed, also code for the catheter placement. In this case, 36247 and 36248.

Provider states intravascular ultrasound performed of Rt common femoral, right external iliac, right popliteal, right tibioperoneal trunk, and right tibial. Based on my IVR book it states that the common femoral and external iliac are one vessel, so I would only assign one code (37252) for the IVUS of RT common femoral and right external iliac is that correct? Then for the right popliteal and right tibial it would be 37253 x 2 or does the tibioperoneal trunk also get 37253?

What book is this? Thanks!