Wiki cpt 46922 versus 46924

Can someone please help me determine what distinquishes these two codes.

THanks

46922 is a simple excision defined below:
1.the act of removal; an excising.
2.Surgery. the surgical removal of a foreign body or of tissue

where as 46924 includes the distruction of the lesion commonly by form of abilation and cauterization of the surrounding area. some times also using Cryo techniques to freeze out the lesion. A bit more in depth thatn a simple cutting and removal of the lesion. hope this helps

Well, they basically read the same except for the extensive but 46922 states surgical excision, however; 46924 gives the same examples but not with the specific technique. That's what confused me. Are they the same except for simple and extensive.

Lay descriptions

Lay descriptions from Encoder Pro:

46922 - In 46922, the physician performs destruction of anal lesions by excision. The physician exposes the perianal skin and identifies the lesions. The lesions are surgically excised. The incisions are closed.

46924 - The physician performs destruction of extensive anal lesions. The physician exposes the perianal skin and identifies the lesions. An extensive destruction of the lesions is performed by various methods, such as laser surgery, electrosurgery, cryosurgery, or chemosurgery.

It is the TECHNIQUE used that makes 46924 an extensive destruction.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Well, I have to disagree. See below. There are codes for simple removal using each of the techniques. 46922 just describes excision.

46900. Destruction of lesion(s), anus (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; chemical

46910. Destruction of lesion(s), anus (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; electrodesiccation

46916. Destruction of lesion(s), anus (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; cryosurgery

46917. Destruction of lesion(s), anus (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; laser surgery

46922. Destruction of lesion(s), anus (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; surgical excision

I have a similar question on 46924. My docs use 46924 as defined excision/fulguration for the destruction of the lesion and for the excision if lesion for biopsy. I don't feel the 46924 includes the excision, what is the correct use? If it does not include the excision would I use 46606 for in the anal canal and for perianal (no margins, no size) just a biopsy of the skin 11106? Any help is appreciated