Wiki CPT 99188; billable with a preventative visit or not

KolarSue

Networker
Best answers
Hello, My medical providers, in a FQHC, would like to bill for the 99188 code when the patient presents for a preventative visit. Is this something that a medical provider can do; what are the guidelines and what happens if they do bill it but it denies? Can the patient be billed for that portion of the service or is it a write-off? I have seen other AAPC questions on this but they are from 2016 and I need some info for current times. Thanks in advance.

Hello, My medical providers, in a FQHC, would like to bill for the 99188 code when the patient presents for a preventative visit. Is this something that a medical provider can do; what are the guidelines and what happens if they do bill it but it denies? Can the patient be billed for that portion of the service or is it a write-off? I have seen other AAPC questions on this but they are from 2016 and I need some info for current times. Thanks in advance.

We do this service during our well child visits. I don't know if we have had any deny. If we do I assume we go by the EOB to determine if it is patient responsibility or contractual.

Heather CPC, CRC