Wiki CPT 99214

Ruthannpardo

Contributor
Best answers
If my provider has a patient with an acute uncomplicated illness or injury, orders a unique test (ex; strep test in office) reviews the results of that test and writes a prescription, does this qualify my provider for a moderate 99214? And, can the same be said for my provider when he sees a child with an ear infection for example, provides a in office test, reviews the results of that test and prescribes ear drops?

Check out the full AMA 2021 outpatient guidelines. For outpatient after 2021, you code on MDM or time. MDM is determined by 2 of 3 elements from problem, data and risk.
Problem: Acute uncomplicated illness or injury = low level (level 3)
Data: 1 test = minimal or none (level 2)
Risk: rx management = moderate (level 4)
Unless time is documented and supports a higher level, this is clearly level 3. No grey area.

I agree with the above that unless there is clear documentation of time supporting a level 4, then this encounter would be a level 3 based on MDM.
If my provider has a patient with an acute uncomplicated illness or injury, orders a unique test (ex; strep test in office) reviews the results of that test and writes a prescription, does this qualify my provider for a moderate 99214? And, can the same be said for my provider when he sees a child with an ear infection for example, provides a in office test, reviews the results of that test and prescribes ear drops?