Wiki cpt code 17250

Jan314

Contributor
Best answers
Hello, I have a physician who want's to use 17250 with a 52 modifier to stop bleeding during a circumcision by using silver nitrate sticks.

According to the coders desk reference, it states that his is to destroy a form of exuberant or excessive healing tissue known as granulation...

My understanding is that this is not the code to use and that the nitrate is incidental. I appreciate your input on this before I go to the physician.

Thank you! Alba

:)

Hi Alba,
I agree with you that the AgNO3 stick should not be separately reportable with 17250 in this case. CPT Pg 71 para 4 on Involvement of nerves, blood vessels etc, states that "The repair of these associated wounds is included in the primary procedure unless it qualifies as a complex repair, in which case modifier 59 applies."
Exploration for postoperative hemorrhage is reported with 35800-60; (in cases of return to the OR.)
Hope this helps :)
Celeste

We bill 17250 when we cauterize an umbilical granuloma. We add a modifier 25 to the ov and link the granuloma diagnosis to the 17250 to show they are separate services.

Thank you both...we have used the 17250 for the umbilical granuloma as you stated with the 25 no problem. I did't feel it's appropriate to use it for what the physician wants to use it...to stop bleeding which is part of the procedure. Again my thanks!