Wiki CPT code 19291

Monika Liddle

Expert
Best answers
Hello,

I was wondering anyone can tell me for CPT code 19291 - is this coded per lesion or per wire placmenet. CPT indicates per lesion but when I read the description of the code it indicates code for each additional wire placement.

This is the decription I have: Needle localization is performed in a mammogram room before a breast biopsy or breast surgery. By using radiological guidance or ultrasound, the radiologist locates the site of the non-palpable abnormal tissue. The patient's breast is cleansed with an antiseptic solution. Local anesthetic may be injected to numb the skin before the needle is placed. A thin needle is then inserted into the breast,
down to the abnormal area. Another mammogram is taken to check the accuracy of the needle position. The radiologist then removes the
thin needle, leaving the thread-like wire hooked in place. Code 19291 for each additional wire placement.

Any help would be appreciated.

Monika

This is what I thought also, but why does the description state for each additional wire placement?

Monika

Hi,

Per Custom Coder:
Needle localization is performed in a mammogram room before a breast biopsy or breast surgery. By using radiological guidance or ultrasound, the radiologist locates the site of the non-palpable abnormal tissue. The patient's breast is cleansed with an antiseptic solution. Local anesthetic may be injected to numb the skin before the needle is placed. A thin needle is then inserted into the breast, down to the abnormal area. Another mammogram is taken to check the accuracy of the needle position. The radiologist then removes the thin needle, leaving the thread-like wire hooked in place. Code 19291 for each additional wire placement.