Wiki CPT code for laser lithotripsy of URETHRAL stone

cherylml

New
Best answers
Patient has a stone in his urethra. Also has stricture and the dr was unable to use a cystoscope. Therefore he used a ureteroscope and performed laser lithotripsy on the urethral stone.

I am looking at possibly 52353 with mod 52 since the cysto was not used.

Can someone help with the coding for this?

Any help is appreciated!

Patient has a stone in his urethra. Also has stricture and the dr was unable to use a cystoscope. Therefore he used a ureteroscope and performed laser lithotripsy on the urethral stone.

I am looking at possibly 52353 with mod 52 since the cysto was not used.

Can someone help with the coding for this?

Any help is appreciated!
52353 is correct for a lithotripsy done via ureteroscope. Modifier 52 would not be correct here as the procedure that was performed meets the CPT definition - there was not a reduced service.

52353 is correct for a lithotripsy done via ureteroscope. Modifier 52 would not be correct here as the procedure that was performed meets the CPT definition - there was not a reduced service.
So even though the cysto was not used, 52353 can be billed as a complete procedure? The description of 52353 is cysto WITH ureteroscope and laser lithotripsy of calculus. I just want to make sure I am understanding this and billing correctly. Thank you!

So even though the cysto was not used, 52353 can be billed as a complete procedure? The description of 52353 is cysto WITH ureteroscope and laser lithotripsy of calculus. I just want to make sure I am understanding this and billing correctly. Thank you!
Yes, it's a complete procedure. A cystoscopy is an endoscopic examination of the bladder - it doesn't mean that a cystoscope has to be used. So a cystouereteroscopy is an examination of the bladder and the ureter(s). Usually this will involve a cystoscope and then, if the cystoscope cannot reach the stone, a ureteroscope is threaded through the cystoscope and advanced up into the ureter to reach the stone. But if a ureteroscope is used instead for the bladder and the ureter both due to the stricture, it's still the same procedure. If the provider is accessing the ureter via the bladder, this is the correct procedure. If the provider isn't accessing it via the bladder, then that's a different question - you haven't posted the entire procedure note and it's hard to say definitively without seeing that.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a complete procedure. A cystoscopy is an endoscopic examination of the bladder - it doesn't mean that a cystoscope has to be used. So a cystouereteroscopy is an examination of the bladder and the ureter(s). Usually this will involve a cystoscope and then, if the cystoscope cannot reach the stone, a ureteroscope is threaded through the cystoscope and advanced up into the ureter to reach the stone. But if a ureteroscope is used instead for the bladder and the ureter both due to the stricture, it's still the same procedure. If the provider is accessing the ureter via the bladder, this is the correct procedure. If the provider isn't accessing it via the bladder, then that's a different question - you haven't posted the entire procedure note and it's hard to say definitively without seeing that.
Yes he did the procedure through the bladder. This is a great help, thank you!