Wiki Cpt code for peg tube removal

Best answers
Have a general question, what is the proper CPT code to use when a PEG tube needs to be removed? I have been using 43247 (please forgive me if thats not the right code, dont have cpt book handy), this would be foreign body removal of esophagus. SHould i not be using this?? I know there is no "actual" code for it but what is the best way?

Thanks in advance

From what I understand, there is no CPT code and it is bundled into the E&M. I am sure somebody else might come up with something better, but this was my understanding. I hope I just did not complicate things :)

From what I gather,non incisional PEG removal is reported via E/M
If removed endoscopically 43247
If incisional 43500 may be appropriate

Hope this helps,

peg removal

Hi Julie,
No, you wouldn't code a peg removal done in an office setting. Instead, use an e/m code depending on the surgeon's documentation. Hope this is helpful :)
pat

thanks guys! just trying to get my ducks in a row lol to say. Im guessing all the cases i code (some i get op reports for) others i dont. these procedures are done under an egd. so would i bill just the egd code? this makes it more confusing because im billing for anesthesia not for the office visit

thanks to all who replies

EGD for the purpose of stent removal

FYI....

In reviewing an encounter, I was researching an issue and I came across a question in the Gastroenterology Coding Alert (see the link below) regarding CPT 43247 EGD-Foreign Body Removal

I have seen that EGD's are being performed for stent removal and are being submitted for billing as foreign body removal. This is incorrect, per Correct Coding Initiative (CCI) the CPT code 43247 is not to be used for the removal of therapeutic devices. I have been changing this to 43235 when no other procedure has been billed. In the case that a biopsy was done along with a stent removal the biopsy CPT 43239 would be the only code billed.

Review the document in this link, please "You be the Coder" on document pages 29 (the question) and document page 31 (the answer).

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:8Q7s2HfcjlIJ:www.codinginstitute.com/sample/gacv11n4%255B1%255D.pdf+gastroenterology+coding+alert+2009+vol+11+No+4+pages+25-32&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbSuugkn6ph4hVWbO45U05nSXmnzfQ

FYI....

In reviewing an encounter, I was researching an issue and I came across a question in the Gastroenterology Coding Alert (see the link below) regarding CPT 43247 EGD-Foreign Body Removal

I have seen that EGD's are being performed for stent removal and are being submitted for billing as foreign body removal. This is incorrect, per Correct Coding Initiative (CCI) the CPT code 43247 is not to be used for the removal of therapeutic devices. I have been changing this to 43235 when no other procedure has been billed. In the case that a biopsy was done along with a stent removal the biopsy CPT 43239 would be the only code billed.

Review the document in this link, please "You be the Coder" on document pages 29 (the question) and document page 31 (the answer).

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:8Q7s2HfcjlIJ:www.codinginstitute.com/sample/gacv11n4%255B1%255D.pdf+gastroenterology+coding+alert+2009+vol+11+No+4+pages+25-32&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbSuugkn6ph4hVWbO45U05nSXmnzfQ

Just to play the devils advocate here.....

you have posted that link 3 times in a row. I think we get it...lol:)

lovetocode,

thanks, yes i use the asa codes, but our billing software you enter the cpt code first and then converts to asa, very nice system we have. i just come across this quiet often for one of my corps and just wasnt sure how to code it.

thanks to all who responded :)