Wiki CPT code for removal of Nexplanon

Lunap99

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Our patient is having her Nexplanon device removed at the same time as another procedure in an out patient setting. I chose 11976 for this but the other coder in our group says to use 11982. When I asked her to explain the reasoning, she said that is what they always use, they have never used 11976. I would think you would want to use the more specific code. Which code s the right one?

Our patient is having her Nexplanon device removed at the same time as another procedure in an out patient setting. I chose 11976 for this but the other coder in our group says to use 11982. When I asked her to explain the reasoning, she said that is what they always use, they have never used 11976. I would think you would want to use the more specific code. Which code s the right one?
Code 11976 was left in the CPT book after the addition of the 11981-11983 codes in 2002 to allow coding for the removal of Norplant - an older contraceptive that used capsules instead of a rod. The work involved in removing the capsules was considered different from that of the rods, and that's why we ended up with the two codes. Norplant is no longer inserted in the US and was taken off the market by the manufacturer in 2002 after women complained of very heavy periods and difficult removal. By now CPT should have removed this code from the book as the life span of the Norplant capsules was only 5 years so the last person should be way past their expiration date, but things move slowly sometimes. The correct code for removal of Nexplanon is 11982.

Code 11976 was left in the CPT book after the addition of the 11981-11983 codes in 2002 to allow coding for the removal of Norplant - an older contraceptive that used capsules instead of a rod. The work involved in removing the capsules was considered different from that of the rods, and that's why we ended up with the two codes. Norplant is no longer inserted in the US and was taken off the market by the manufacturer in 2002 after women complained of very heavy periods and difficult removal. By now CPT should have removed this code from the book as the life span of the Norplant capsules was only 5 years so the last person should be way past their expiration date, but things move slowly sometimes. The correct code for removal of Nexplanon is 11982.
Thank you for not only providing the answer, but providing a thorough explanation and history!

thank you for the clarification! I was just about to use 11976 and thought I should plug this into the codify and then found this comment feed! very helpful!