Wiki Cpt code for removing a suprapubic catheter

sroyal1031

Contributor
Best answers
I am trying to find a code for removing the suprapubic catheter and I am only finding the code for changing the suprapubic catheter. Can anyone tell me if there is a code for just the removal of the suprapubic catheter?

TIA

I found this on Supercoder.

"Question: What is the correct procedure code for removal of a suprapubic tube?

Rhode Island Subscriber

Answer: The correct code depends on how the surgeon completes the procedure. If he makes an incision to remove the tube, submit 53899 (Unlisted procedure, urinary system). If he removes the tube without making an incision, file with the most appropriate E/M code instead."

I found this on Supercoder.

"Question: What is the correct procedure code for removal of a suprapubic tube?

Rhode Island Subscriber

Answer: The correct code depends on how the surgeon completes the procedure. If he makes an incision to remove the tube, submit 53899 (Unlisted procedure, urinary system). If he removes the tube without making an incision, file with the most appropriate E/M code instead."
What would you benchmark the unlisted code to? I have a case where the tube went through a piece of small bowel during another surgery, Urologist came in to remove it. Small incision was made, general surgery dissected bowel off the bladder, then the suprapubic tube was removed and the opening into the bladder was closed by urologist.