Wiki CPT codes vs ASA codes

mabad

New
Best answers
Hi Guys, we have a new Dr Anesthesiologist, I don't have any experience with this specialty, but he wants to bill the CPT codes not the ASA codes. Does anyone know if Medicare and other Ins would accept that??

If yes, should I report the units just caculating the time or can I report it as min time, ex 30 min for 1/2 hrs.?? :confused:

Thank you so much.

Maria A

"he wants to bill the CPT codes not the ASA codes"...by CPT do you mean the procedure codes from the surgery section, as opposed to the actual anesthesia codes? If so, then as far as I know that is incorrect. If the Dr. is providing anesthesia services, then he should be using anesthesia codes, not the code for the procedure requiring anesthesia. It's possible some payors may require you to bill differently, but I think for the most part you would use the anesthesia code. Remember you should really only use the code that represents the service(s)/procedure(s) being performed. That's why the anesthesia codes exist, cause they're supposed to be used. Hope this helps! :)

Hi Guys, we have a new Dr Anesthesiologist, I don't have any experience with this specialty, but he wants to bill the CPT codes not the ASA codes. Does anyone know if Medicare and other Ins would accept that??

If yes, should I report the units just caculating the time or can I report it as min time, ex 30 min for 1/2 hrs.?? :confused:

Thank you so much.

Maria A

Anesthesiologist should bill anesthesia codes not surgery procedure codes. They are billing for the anesthesia not the surgery being performed. Our medicare carrier requires total minutes. Some carriers make want time units (usually 15 mins equals one unit). If the anesthesialogist performx a billable lines (ex CVP) then you would use the procedure code as he is performing a precedure. An anesthesioloigsts can wear two hats one as the ansetheisoligst and one as the physician performing the service so you would bill according to what he is actually doing. If I can be of any help to you please contact me. Hope this info helps some.:)

Last edited: