Wiki CPT Coding

Best answers
I have never encountered a situation like this. Hope someone can help or point me in the right direction. A provider recently joined out practice and is going to see a patient as a follow up for a surgery he performed under a different practice and tax ID. Would we code this as new patient OV or should I use code 99024 because the OV is included in the surgical package? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

I have never encountered a situation like this. Hope someone can help or point me in the right direction. A provider recently joined out practice and is going to see a patient as a follow up for a surgery he performed under a different practice and tax ID. Would we code this as new patient OV or should I use code 99024 because the OV is included in the surgical package? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

If the new provider sees one of his old patients that were seen by him in any other practice or facility within the 3 year period, regardless of tax ID, the patient is considered an established patient with his new practice. So, I would think in this case it would be considered global to the surgery he performed - unless the patient is being seen for a different reason. Then you would use the appropriate established visit code with the 24 modifier.

Hope that helps! :)