Wiki CPT for finger MRI?

Best answers
Seeking help from my fellow coders! What is the correct CPT code for a non-contrast finger MRI? I'm torn between 2 codes - 73218 (non joint) and 73221 (joint). Is the finger considered a joint? Thanks for your help!

I would say that if they are looking at the joint then it would be joint and if they are looking at the bone then non-joint. This is quite a conundrum ....

I'm new to coding having just passed the credentialing exam in April so that's why I'm stuck between the 2 codes - I'm still trying to feel out the "grey" areas. :) The dx for the MRI I'm stuck on is "finger pain - r/o sprain". I want to use 73221 but another co-worker (who is not a coder) is telling me it's wrong as a finger is not a joint. What's an apprentice coder to do?? :)

73221 includes hand, wrist in its description so more clearly defines the scope of the MRI test. 73218 is used for an upper extremity in total. I vote for 73221.

Thank you so much for your help! I won this battle with your opinions to back me up. Now let's hope the claim isn't denied! :eek: Thanks again! :)