Wiki CPT for Subcutaneous lymph nodes

kmartinez

Networker
Best answers
Could I get some help for the correct CPT for Excisional Biopsy of right Subcutaneous lymph nodes (times 2)

Provider had given CPT 21555 but that is regarding "tumor, soft tissue" and she is excising the lymph nodes. Atleast that is my understanding.

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Right neck lymphadenopathy
FINDINGS: A 1-1/2 cm lymph nodes in right neck level 3 completely excised and sent for permanent pathology.

Within her op report she mentions: inferior incision was made with 15 blade in a relaxed skin tension line and carried down through platysma with bovie cautery. Dissection proceeded adjacent to the lymph node removing the entire mass. A similar incision was made superior to this in a relaxed skin tension line, 1-1/2 cm in length with 15 blade and carried down through platysma with bovie cautery dissection similarly proceeded adjacent to the lymph node, which was superficial to sternocleidomastoid muscle. This was also removed in its entirety and sent for permanent pathology.

Would I want to use a code from the lymphatic section such as CPT 38500??

TIA
KM

It seems 38500 is correct, but I might want to query the provider or review the pathology. While it states "lymphadenectomy" in the title, the body states ADJACENT to lymph node. I think the provider just worded it unusually.