Wiki CPT question Mandibulectomy

annettebec

Networker
Best answers
What CPT would you assign to the following:

Neck, right partial pharyngectomy, right neck dissection, right parotidectomy, right partial mandibulectomy. Again, any help appreciated

Hi annettebec,
I can tell you how I would code this from your information- I am simply going to assume a neoplastic process, lesion, or large mass is happening for this coding scenario to support billing all my CPT coding suggestions okay without having a full pathology report. You do not see this type of scenario unless something ugly is happening.
Partial pharyngectomy 88307 (cannot bill 88309)
Right neck dissection 88307 (unless each level was individually identified with ink or sutures - it is all bundled) Otherwise if individually identified I would charge each level.
Right parotidectomy 88307 (major salivary gland)
Right partial mandibulectomy 88309 (they are removing part of the bone that holds our patient's teeth in place in their lower jaw)
Please be sure to carefully review the synoptic report. Sometimes they (the pathologist's aren't great about the final diagnosis piece) but have the detailed information on the levels of neck dissection reviewed in this area of their report.
Feel free to provide any comments on this post and simply ask questions, I love hearing feedback if someone else thinks I missed something or if you are questioning stuff. Thank you for listening, and have a fantastic evening,
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT