Wiki CRC Employability Question

coding2016

Contributor
Best answers
I have a question for anyone who may be kindly willing to offer some insight. My husband is considering obtaining the CRC credential (Certified Risk Coder). He has 10 years experience as a remote (home-based) Medical Language Editor and also has a recent AAS Degree in Accounting, however has no coding experience. Is it realistic to think that a person of his background could gain employment as a risk coder with only the CRC credential and no coding experience?

Think Positive

Dear Employability,
After earning an AAS (Associates in applied sciences- Nursing) I practiced nursing as an RN for 12 years, at that point I received my first AAPC credential and subsequently I have been in the risk adjustment coding filed for the past 10 years.
I believe the CRC certification requirements talk about a recommend 2 year minimum experience in the Risk adjustment coding field. Not being familiar with the role you mentioned his current experience is in, It does sound like he might be familiar with A and P and medical terminology, two components that can contribute to a successful coding career.
In my experience, the CRC course is made for some who has successfully completed fundamental coding courses or has had previous years experience in coding. Is it realistic to think he could gain employment as a risk coder with only the CRC credential and no coding experience? My replay is, It might be a real challenge but not unrealistic. I think a big factor is what exactly his experience is in. if it’s medical in nature at all, he’s got a chance.

AAS CPC CPMA CRC

Muchas Gracias-!!

Dear markfla – Thank you so much for your thoughtful response and for outlining your own journey. My husband’s background as a Medical Language Editor (i.e., speech recognition editor, transcriptionist, document auditor, QA, etc.) is completely medical-based, so his A&P and med term background is broad across the board, thankfully. We sure appreciate you taking the time to offer your insights and give us food for thought!

CHDS, CPC-A, COC-A (soon to be CRC, testing 11/12/2016)

What might be helpful is to search for Risk Coding job openings across several organizations nationwide and learn what skills and experience these kinds of jobs require. Some Part C payers will accept CPC-As, and others require RNs, depending on the kind of work being done.

Good luck!