Wiki CRC Exam Passers

coding2016

Contributor
Best answers
For anyone who has passed your CRC exam, if you don't mind sharing, I have some questions regarding your approach to this particular exam:

-- Did you find this exam easier or harder than other AAPC exams you may have taken? How was it alike or different? Did you get through it faster or slower?

-- Since only 60 questions pertain to ICD-10 coding, how did you handle/approach the rest of the questions that are outside of this? Did you refer to copious handwritten notes, memory, else?

I take my CRC exam on 11/12/16 (after having passed the CPC and COC exams this year) and am looking for any tips/hints for prepping for the CRC exam that may different than other AAPC exams, if anything.

Thank you very kindly for sharing.....Pam

s/p CRC exam

Hi Pam,

I found the CRC much harder than the CPC. I don't really dare to write anything about it in detail, as I don't want to give away restricted information, but I can recommend 2 things:

1. Use the CRC course material as a list of things-of-interest, and do a LOT of research online. Make sure that you really understand what is going on with the different models, how the exchanges work and why.

2. Practice ICD-10-CM as if there was no tomorrow. Preferably "nasty" cases that you have no idea how to code. (Those will be on the exam.)

And to answer your questions:

How was it alike or different? - There were a lot of questions where I didn't even understand what it wanted from me. The question and given answers seemed to be unrelated. (Obviously the mistake was mine, but it was confusing and frustrating.)
Did you get through it faster or slower? Due to the above, slower.
How did you handle/approach the rest of the questions that are outside of this? Did you refer to copious handwritten notes, memory, else? - Memory. I don't think I would have had time to search in notes anyways.

I am sure that you will do great! I wish you the best!
Regards,
Anna

Muchas Gracias, Anna

Thank you so much, Anna, for your generous insights and also for your well wishes.....sounds like I'll need it! Also, big congrats to you for your success in passing the exam!