Wiki CRC Exam Prep Course Advice

volleyb13

Networker
Best answers
I recently purchased the CRC prep course. This is my first time taking a distance learning course for a certification. My CPC and CPMA were both in person training courses. For those who have taken the CRC Online Prep and sat for the exam, what would be your best suggestion/advice for reviewing the content provided? I am trying to see the best way to tackle the chapters. I see that each chapter has reading material, quizzes, lectures and a chapter review exam. Is it best to read the content, review the lecture and highlight info discussed, then take the quizzes and chapter review exam? The in person training's were always very helpful as the instructors would really emphasize the important information to know, review and study. There is so much info in the reading material that I just wanted to see the best way to review all the content that will be beneficial in sitting for the exam. Anyone who has previously taken and successfully completed the training and obtained their certification that could provide any helpful feedback would be great! Thank you.

I just finished the CRC course. I did not watch the videos. I only reviewed the reading materials. I started doing both but found that I got more out of the reading. A coworker of mine did just the opposite. She found the reading boring and enjoyed the lectures. You may want to try both and see what works best for you.

Heather, CPC

Since you already have the 2 certifications, you have good background knowledge to pass the CRC Exam. The best advice I received before I sat for mine is Read the ICD 10 Guidelines thoroughly and understand it very well, highlight and know every part of it, it really made a big difference for me. Goodluck!

Good luck! And happy studying :)

I have my CPC and CPMA to and just recently passed my CRC. I took both CPMA and CRC through distance learning and liked it! First I studied for my CRC by reading through/making notes/highlighting in my study guide book and then took all three of the online practice exams more than once to test my knowledge. I also definitely do recommend reading the ICD 10 Guidelines thoroughly and highlighting important areas. It did feel weird sitting for the exam and only needing the ICD-10 book lol. Now that I passed I wish I could find a position where I could utilize my skills because I feel ultimately real world experience is the best way to become savy in the Risk Adjustment area of coding. As they say "You don't use it, you lose it".

M.Hannus, CPC, CPMA, CRC

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate all the info! Fingers crossed for a positive outcome! :)

I have my CPC and CPMA to and just recently passed my CRC. I took both CPMA and CRC through distance learning and liked it! First I studied for my CRC by reading through/making notes/highlighting in my study guide book and then took all three of the online practice exams more than once to test my knowledge. I also definitely do recommend reading the ICD 10 Guidelines thoroughly and highlighting important areas. It did feel weird sitting for the exam and only needing the ICD-10 book lol. Now that I passed I wish I could find a position where I could utilize my skills because I feel ultimately real world experience is the best way to become savy in the Risk Adjustment area of coding. As they say "You don't use it, you lose it".

M.Hannus, CPC, CPMA, CRC
Good morning, I am taking the CRC and studying for it. I have an outline, but I'm having trouble finding data mining in the CRC book, do you remember what chapter this is in, I looked everywhere. thank you

I just passed my CRC exam. I took the practice exams mulitple times and read the study guide about 3 times. I also had someone who helped me with medical terminology as I didn't take a course. I passed the first time and it was difficult.
Data mining wasn't really on the exam, but if so, there really was one question which was on the practice exams. Data mining can most likely be found in chapters 4, 5, or 6. If anything it was one sentence.

I just passed my CRC exam. I took the practice exams mulitple times and read the study guide about 3 times. I also had someone who helped me with medical terminology as I didn't take a course. I passed the first time and it was difficult.
Data mining wasn't really on the exam, but if so, there really was one question which was on the practice exams. Data mining can most likely be found in chapters 4, 5, or 6. If anything it was one sentence.
Oh Wow!!!! Congratulations!!!!! I'm so happy for you, thank you for the feedback. I will purchase the practice exams and see if this will make a difference, thank you again :)

Good morning, I am taking the CRC and studying for it. I have an outline, but I'm having trouble finding data mining in the CRC book, do you remember what chapter this is in, I looked everywhere. thank you
thank you for your advise, I will purchase the practice exams so I can become more familiar with everything. A lot of people say it's hard to find a job after completing a certification. Don't give up, things are turning around now that the pandemic is clearing up. You will def. find something. Thank you so much for your reply :)

M.Hannus, CPC, CPMA, CRC
Thank you for your advise, I will purchase the practice exams so I can become more familiar with everything. A lot of people say it's hard to find a job after completing a certification. Don't give up, things are turning around now that the pandemic is clearing up. You will def. find something. Thank you so much for your reply :)

I just finished the CRC course. I did not watch the videos. I only reviewed the reading materials. I started doing both but found that I got more out of the reading. A coworker of mine did just the opposite. She found the reading boring and enjoyed the lectures. You may want to try both and see what works best for you.

Heather, CPC
Thank you so much for your reply, I will give it a try again 2nd attempt. :)

For someone who has taken the CRC exam, what is the format of the actual exam and is the exam split into two sessions?

The CRC exam thoroughly covers:
1)Compliance-23
2)Diagnosis Coding-60
3)Documentation Improvement-18
4)Pathophysiology/Medical Terminology/Anatomy-8
5)Purpose and Use of Risk Adjustment Models-15
6)Quality Care-5
7)Risk Adjustment Models-21

I took my exam last weekend and waiting for results. I purchased the online course thru AAPC and found it to be very helpful and study guide and 3 practice exams.

Hello Everyone,
I took the CRC exam last weekend and felt I was totally unprepared! Fingers crossed that I passed! Although I answered every question with only 10 mins. to spare. no bathroom breaks or snacks, raised my head twice to check the time, LOL! I realized my weak points through out the exam and if I have to take it again I know what to look for. Unfortunately when I finished the course this past April, COVID interrupted the exam process and the AAPC cancelled my exam 3 times, too much time elapsed. Do your practice exams and review Compliance and HCC rules. There was a focus on the RAVD audits as well as the HCC category trumping. By now, as a CPC, you should know ICD10 and let the coding book lead you, focus on Compliance and HCC and it's concept. I reviewed the exam when we were allowed to open it and made a plan to skip over the encounter notes sections where there is approximately 10 encounter and/or operative notes you have to read thru, I saved them for last. The other advise I have is to look at the common denominator in the multiple choice questions, if the note indicates a patient has DM2 and 2 of the 4 possible answers have dx code for DM1, you can exclude those 2 answer choices, now you just have 2 possible answers to deal with. When I took my CPC I had a wonderful instructor with sound advise, if you don't know the answer within a reasonable time, mark the question and move on, you can revisit these when you finish everything else, then you can take the time to work them out. I am not a fan of online learning, I loved the traditional classroom setting with an actual instructor, I think there is so much lost without that human interaction/conversation and a point of reference and resource. Good luck everyone!

Ummm... I passed! got an 80 and could not be more pleased! For those of you who are looking for Risk Adjustment jobs, they are out there... I have seen a lot of jobs indicate that a CPC is required and they want the individual to obtain their CRC within a year. This area of coding is expanding and CRC's are in demand.

Good luck everyone!

I just found out yesterday that I passed the CRC! I did the AAPC course and did the practice exams 2 times each. I finished in 4 hours exactly and got a good score. My advice is to just stay calm and take deep breaths. You will have enough time to finish! It is split into sections and each section is marked. Coding was the biggest section with the most questions.

Good luck to anyone else who is taking it soon!

I just found out yesterday that I passed the CRC! I did the AAPC course and did the practice exams 2 times each. I finished in 4 hours exactly and got a good score. My advice is to just stay calm and take deep breaths. You will have enough time to finish! It is split into sections and each section is marked. Coding was the biggest section with the most questions.

Good luck to anyone else who is taking it soon!
Congrats! Not a fan of online courses, LOL! Good Luck in your endeavors! :)