Wiki CRC Exam

gpbhanu

Contributor
Best answers
Hi,
I Recently passed my CPMA exam, bought online AAPC course and the study guide, studied for three months and passed the exam on my first try.I am thinking about taking the CRC exam this year. I would like to know if anyone has taken the exam without taking the actual course.
Please give me honest feedback on whether or not the class is needed and any tips on passing the exam. Thanks in advance.

I work as a HCC coder at a major health plan, and decided to take my CRC last year. I had the study guide and the practice exams only, and passed comfortably. The very interesting part about AAPC exams is that their exams don't replicate 100% the real world, but get fairly close.

I also did the same with the CPC exam, and had no AAPC courses, but just the coding books and the study guide with practice exams. I do have a strong background (college) in anatomy/physiology and know medical terminology, which all helped a great deal.

I think because I am enveloped in Risk Adjustment on a daily basis, and using the other resources I described above, the exam wasn't too hard for me. If you don't deal with Risk Adjustment a lot, then the course could be helpful.

Hope this is helpful!

I have no risk adjustment experience at all but decided to take the test, just to gain some knowledge really.
I bought the study guide and practice exams as I tend to do for any certification. I have never bought any online courses.

I have to say it was one of the easier AAPC tests. Generally I use all 5 hours 40 minutes of the allowed time but I finished this one in very good time and scored very well.

It's really all down to what type of learning style you like. For me the online courses are not something I need.

Good luck.

I sat down for the CRC just this weekend. I do have to say I felt it was easier than CPC, but then again, I have experience in coding.

I purchased the online course thru AAPC and found it to be very helpful!! Some of the test questions were very similar to the smaller quizzes AAPC CRC course offers. I would definitely reccommend it....especially if you're like me and dont have any experience in Risk Adjustment.

Best of luck

I sat down for the CRC just this weekend. I do have to say I felt it was easier than CPC, but then again, I have experience in coding.

I purchased the online course thru AAPC and found it to be very helpful!! Some of the test questions were very similar to the smaller quizzes AAPC CRC course offers. I would definitely reccommend it....especially if you're like me and dont have any experience in Risk Adjustment.

Best of luck
Were there a lot of questions where you had to code out the diagnoses?