Wiki Credentials for Billing Manager

LStana

Networker
Best answers
What type of credentials would I need for billing manager. I am looking for further education as I have my CMC and have been billing and coding for 14 years. Thank you.

I would expect a billing manager to have the level of experience you describe and hold a CPC for physician, CPC-H for hospital. But, of course, regionally-recognized credentials may also play in--if you are in an area that acknowledges them.

It depends on the practice sophistication. If it is truly a billing manager then I would expect a knowledge of the LCD's for the insurance carriers the practice deals with, a good relationship or ability to gain one with the insurance customer service representatives, a knowledge of billing principles to include code interchanges based on the respective insurance companies, an ability to review the A/R and make determinations of problem areas, ability to solve problems, capability to manage personnel.

If it also includes coding, then the knowledge and preferably the credential to perform billing for the practice.