Wiki Crisis Management

dawnrosey

Contributor
Best answers
I work in a pediatrics office that has a psychologist on staff. Often times we have a patient in that is in crisis (suicidal, self harming behaviors, ect) the Physician will bring in the Psychologist to meet with the patient to evaluate them and offer either insight or help plan further intervention. We are having trouble figuring out how to bill for the Psychologist's portion of the visit. It's not a formal intake and they aren't technically providing therapy. Does anyone have any experience in this kind of scenario? Thanks!

I work in a pediatrics office that has a psychologist on staff. Often times we have a patient in that is in crisis (suicidal, self harming behaviors, ect) the Physician will bring in the Psychologist to meet with the patient to evaluate them and offer either insight or help plan further intervention. We are having trouble figuring out how to bill for the Psychologist's portion of the visit. It's not a formal intake and they aren't technically providing therapy. Does anyone have any experience in this kind of scenario? Thanks!
I am no expert, but I'm thinking you could bill this as a Consultation Service, w/ the appropriate E/M Consult code (99241-99245 for OutPatient). Check your CPT 2012 book, pg 463, for descriptive paragraph in Psych section.