• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Critical Access Hospital - Critical Access Hospital

angieg1215

Guest
Messages
3
Location
Pulaski, TN
Does anyone know where I can find information on coding for Critical Access Hospital? I just started a new job and I think its going to be a lot different than the coding I have done in the past. :confused::confused::confused:
 
I am fairly new to CAH and have been reading and reviewing on the Noridan website, they have some great information. The CMS website also has a section on CAH these are both great places to start. If Noridian is not your FI or MAC than I would suggest also trying your FI or MAC site.


https://www.noridianmedicare.com/parta/train/education_center/critical_access_hospital.html?


http://www.cms.gov/Center/Provider-...ospitals-Center.html?redirect=/center/cah.asp

Sharlene Evans CPC, CPC-H
AAPC Silverdale Local Chapter - Secretary
 
Last edited:
I am a CPC and have worked at a CAH for nearly 2 and 1/2 years, in my first coding position. I code all of the facilities Ambulatory/Ancillary visits with 99% accuracy, all of their ER/ED for physician and facility charges with 98% accuracy and have been highly trained in ER/ED coding with accuracy between 92 - 98%.
To the best of my knowledge (only having worked with CAH), I agree with what debra-277 has stated.

On a side note.... I recently interviewed with an acute care facility , the Coding Supervisor and the HIM Director there were very impressed that I knew so many different styles of coding. After testing me they stated that my coding was excellent and that I was ready now to be an Inpatient Coder, which I believe I could be a good one. They offered me the position but, I think I'll keep looking.;)

Someone had stated elsewhere that it's a great place to start and I agree. :)
 
Last edited:
Top