Wiki Critical care 99291 coding - time

bill2doc

Expert
Best answers
Hi All,

Not sure if I'm in the right area, I've asked for an ICU/Critical Care group but never got an answer from the powers at AAPC

Question - Are your providers adding their "time to document chart" to their critical care time. This has just come up recently and we are getting some that do and some that don't. The description for 99291 doesn't specify either way... ??

Thanks

Hi bill2doc,
As a coding analyst I have the opportunity to view claim rejection. And YES, I see these charges (99291 & 99292) frequently - At our facility, I am usually able to review documentation and almost always ..... the time is simply listed to support billing 99291 and also along with 99292 when appropriate (with whatever quantity that is appropriate) depending on the provider's documentation. If the provider is separately billing other procedures during this time period and their documentation doesn't state that it excludes such and such procedure(s), I personally would query for clarification ... especially if it occurred during the time providing critical care.
Hopefully this helps!
Dana Chock, RHIT, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB
Coding Associate Analyst