Wiki Critical Care and Psychosis

jifnif

Expert
Best answers
Would you consider a patient that is having hallucinations and psychosis a critical care episode? I was under the impression that critical care must be life threatening. Please help. Thanks.

Well, if they trying to kill themselves that would be life threatening. I guess the problem I have with that is they would only be critical for as long as it took to restrain them and it probably wouldn't necessarily have to be the doctor to do the restraining.

So I guess my answer is yes this could be critical care but I doubt you will be able to support the time requirements and the medical necessity of having the provider there for that amount of time.

I am saying this under the assumption they know that is the only thing wrong with the patient. If the patient all of a sudden starts having major issues and they don't know why patient is trying to kill themself, then you probably would be able to justify having the doctor there for however long it took to restrain the patient and figure out what is wrong.

Just my opinion,

Laura, CPC, CEMC