Wiki CT Medicaid and AS modifier

Jennifer17

Networker
Best answers
We are having an issue with CT Medicaid - they are saying we cannot use the AS on claims for assistant surgeons that are PA's -they are saying we have to use 80,81 or 82 this makes no sense to me - I have always used AS for PA's who assist -now they want to reprocess several years worhtof our claims that we were overpaid since we used AS????? any advice?

We are having an issue with CT Medicaid - they are saying we cannot use the AS on claims for assistant surgeons that are PA's -they are saying we have to use 80,81 or 82 this makes no sense to me - I have always used AS for PA's who assist -now they want to reprocess several years worhtof our claims that we were overpaid since we used AS????? any advice?

You have to read between the lines. What they are really saying is that a PA cannot assist. Or in other words, they don't want to pay for a PA to assist. Instead of stating that outright, they state that the assistant must use 80 in billing, which would exclude PA's. Your Medicaid does not pay for PA's to assist in surgery is the bottom line.