Wiki CT SCANOGRAM "HELP"

dgarri

Networker
Best answers
We have a Provider who has a referring physician ordering CT Scanograms of various Extremity Joints (I.e. Hip, Knee, Shoulder, etc.). From a procedural standpoint it is performed on the CT, but they only run a high resolution Scout (AP View), with NO Axial images obtained. In essence, it’s equivalent to an AP Xray of the Extremity, but with higher resolution, because of the CT. They order these quite often, so they need to set up an Appointment Type in their system using a valid CPT for this. However, I am unsure as to what CPT Code to advise them to use. In searching the Web, the provider found Code 78973. However, I believe this code in not an active code because it is not found in any of my coding resources. I did find articles for 77073 stating it can be used for CT Scanogram (hip,leg,knee,ankle) but noting mentioned about upper extremities. Is 77073 a valid code for reporting CT Scanogram for just lower extremity? And if so is there a code for upper extremity? Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.