Wiki Current Procedural Coding Expert vs Procedure Desk Reference Books

I am very curious as to what the differences are between the two books as well. I also would like to know which is preferred?

Hello,

My facility purchases the Optum CPC Expert edition.
There are slight differences between publishers.
The major difference between the AMA and Optum edition: AMA edition includes an index of codes & page numbers at the beginning of each section with space for notes. We also have procedure desk references available to us for our particular specialty (ies).

CPT coding manuals are the DEFINITIVE source for all things CPT coding along with the HCPCS coding manual.

Procedure desk references are excellent adjuncts (resources) to the CPT coding manuals. The PDR is essential for a surgery coder. I use the PDRs frequently. Another great little resourse is the Coder's Desk Reference for Procedures. This is a handly little book (half the size of a regular coding manual) with every single CPT code and a brief description of each code. Not expensive. It is a great resourse, especially if you code for trauma surgery when the general surgeon ventures into ortho- or cardiathoracic-land in the course of the surgery. I would not be without it.

Only the CPT Professional edition is allowed when sitting for the CPC exam. A PDR is allowed for a specialty surgery coding exam with CPT Professional.

I hope this is helpful!
pat