Wiki current vs history of

stephmescher

Networker
Best answers
We are looking for some clarification on the coding guidelines regarding history of vs current malignancy. The ICD-10 coding guidelines state that if the malignancy is eradicated and no longer receiving treatment, we should be coding the history of. Our question is what if the patient had a thyroidectomy and is be monitored for recurrence by US and prescribed Levothyroxine- would this be considered current or history of? Same with breast cancer and tamoxifen?
We are questioning because of the HCC weight the current diagnosis carry.
Thanks

We are looking for some clarification on the coding guidelines regarding history of vs current malignancy. The ICD-10 coding guidelines state that if the malignancy is eradicated and no longer receiving treatment, we should be coding the history of. Our question is what if the patient had a thyroidectomy and is be monitored for recurrence by US and prescribed Levothyroxine- would this be considered current or history of? Same with breast cancer and tamoxifen?
We are questioning because of the HCC weight the current diagnosis carry.
Thanks
This is what I found in my Humana coding guideline for neoplasms. I couldn't get the handout to attach but I hope this helps.

A primary malignancy is coded as historical (category Z85, Personal history of malignant neoplasm) after the primary malignancy has been excised or eradicated, there is no further treatment directed to that site and there is no current evidence of any existing primary malignancy at that site. Encounter for follow-up examination after treatment for malignant neoplasm has been completed is coded as ZØ8. This code includes medical surveillance following completed treatment (i.e., monitoring for cancer recurrence) and Excludes 1 aftercare following medical care (Z43–Z49, Z51). Code ZØ8 advises to use an additional code to identify any acquired absence of organs (Z9Ø.-) and personal history of malignant neoplasm (Z85.-).