Wiki Custody issues

wahmcoder

Networker
Best answers
I would love to get feedback on how you handle custody issues. We have noticed divorced families coming in and trying to get the other parent deemed harmful for the child so they can have full custody. How do you set boundaries regarding this?

One of our therapist suggested not providing therapy for divorced families where the parents are, or have been, in conflict, unless there are specific boundaries established in writing to focus on a specified area that has no relevance to the parents' conflict. We would then refer the parents to mediation or a therapist who can be neutral and separate from the child's issues.

Is this appropriate? I would love to hear some ideas.

My first comment is that this is a therapeutic issue...and I'm no therapist, but whatever your provider feels is appropriate with regards to treatment is entirely up to him/her. I managed a psychotherapy office for 8 years and can tell you this: A therapist can choose to see and treat whomever they wish, since it's up to them to determine whether the case is something they have expertise in, or if they already have too many of one particular kind of case. Therapists like balance and will choose clients based on a certain number of 'easy' cases like adjustment reaction, vs difficult cases like chronic anorexia. However, it's the therapist's choice, not the office manager's, biller's or receptionist's job to set those guidelines. Lots of decisions around therapeutic care (which can involve referring out to another therapist) are made as part of the treatment plan, and probably shouldn't be office policy, but can be the therapist's individual policy. I'm wondering why you're being asked to make these choices, unless you're also a licensed psychologist or social worker.

I would advise that your office/practice not get involved in any legal custody battles other than to provide therapy for whomever has hired you. That kind of scenario can get ugly, and as a non-clinician (which I'm assuming) you can get yourself in all kinds of hot water.

My experience with custody cases has only to do with collections. Whomever brings the kid in for treatment is responsible for payment. You can bill the insurance of the responsible party, but copayments/deductible, etc. is to be collected at the time by the presenting parent. You can provide a receipt, and let them chase the other parent. Their custody battles are not part of your administrative practice and should not impact your revenue stream. The therapeutic issues should be determined by the therapist.

My opinion (hey, you asked...) is to stay the heck away from this one.

I was asked by my providers to research this. I help create and decide policies. Thanks for your help. I will look elsewhere.