Wiki data points for review of mri report

Ash82

Networker
Best answers
If my physician says in his documentation that he personally reviewed the IMAGES of the patients mri scan and also reviewed the report from the radiologist, can he get three points in the data section of medical decision making? So, in other words, he did not just read the radiologist report but actually looked at the scan himself. It states, "independent visualization of image, tracing or specimen itself (not simply review of report), which he did an independent visualization. Does he have to give his own interpretation to get the two points and if so, does it have to be a "formal" report? Can he also get the one data point for review and/or order of tests in the radiology section of CPT as well since he states that he reviewed the report? I wasn't sure if getting three points would be considered "double dipping". Any comments would be appreciated!

You cannot give credit for both independent visualization and review of the report for the same image; it is an either/or situation. The physician just needs to document HIS interpretation of the images, it doesn't have to be a "formal" report. Now if your doc orders additional radiology, then you would give a point for ordering radiology and the 2 points for independent visualization.

Thank you for your input! I have scoured the internet and couldn't find anything in our Medicare carrier guidelines on this. This is very helpful.