Wiki Day of Death Discharge is 100 Minutes

dtricia

Best answers
Is there a way to capture all this time? the provider is billing 99233 with 99356 on day of discharge/death to capture 100 minutes of bedside time caring for his patient and family . but he also is the Physician who is Summarizing the Death , who should bill 99239 with greater than 30 minutes and that does not seem like enough. You cannot add on to that.
Is that it?
Thanks.
Tricia D

Day of death discharge

I WOULD BILL THE 99239 INSTEAD OF THE 99233 AND 99354, AS LONG AS THE PHYSICIAN DID THE NOTE FOR THE DEATH AND DOCUMENTED THE TIME SPENT OVER THE 30 MINUTES...

THAT IS HOW I BILL IT

HOPE THIS HELPS
:eek::)

Is there a way to capture all this time? the provider is billing 99233 with 99356 on day of discharge/death to capture 100 minutes of bedside time caring for his patient and family . but he also is the Physician who is Summarizing the Death , who should bill 99239 with greater than 30 minutes and that does not seem like enough. You cannot add on to that.
Is that it?
Thanks.
Tricia D

Hello,

I personally would want more information before making a suggestion. You state that the provider claims he was caring for the patient and his family - was he/she providing critical care services before the patient's death that day? If so, I would bill critical care services (depending on whether it meets the criteria - patient's condition, services provided by provider, and time) instead of the discharge. He/she can't bill prolonged services for time after the patient was pronounced.

This was time spent in comfort care and end of life discussion. Not Critical care.
Tricia