• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Debridement pip joint & bone

nabernhardt

Best answers
needing some help please with the procedure. Possibly 26235 or 11044? thanks
PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Tophaceous gout left PIP joint.
POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Advanced destruction of the PIP joint and accompanying
bone from gouty changes.
OPERATION: Debridement of left PIP joint and bone.

HISTORY: The patient has had a progressive large gouty tophus, painful, restrictive and he
wants surgical intervention. Nonoperative management was maximized. He requested to proceed.
The risks, benefits, and alternatives were reviewed.
PROCEDURE: I made a small incision in the medial aspect of the finger after it was prepared and draped and he was locally anesthetized. I used a local tourniquet. The gouty debris was removed. Tendon destruction was encountered. The radial condyle of the PIP fell out of the wound. I débrided all the devitalized bone. No signs of infection. Thorough irrigation was performed. The patient tolerated the procedure well. Wound was closed. Hemostasis was noted.