Wiki Decision for Surgery within global period

Best answers
Hello Fellow Coding Professionals

Patient had surgery for greater tuberosity fracture with shoulder dislocation and is in the office during the global surgery. There is a displacement of the greater tuberosity fragment and a decision for ORIF is made. Is this a billable E and M since the diagnosis is slightly different? Or would you stick with 99024?

Thank you

Hi Sparkles! I do not believe that you can charge for the E/M even with a 57 modifier. The reason I think this is because you would have to use a modifier 24 to the E/M code to break the bundling issue with the global period the patient is currently in. According the CPT book, in order to use a modifier 24, "The E/M must be unrelated to the original procedure." In this case, the patient is being treated for a greater tuberosity fracture, that has since displaced. So this would not be considered unrelated. Even though the diagnosis has gone from non displaced to displaced, they are still in a global for the same greater tuberosity fracture. I wouldn't code out the E/M, but I would definitely put a modifier 58 on the surgery. I hope this helps.