Wiki Decison for Surgery on Pacemaker

Best answers
We have a practice that is billing out a E/M service 99213 with a 57 on the claim line. The patient is having a Pacemaker implant done the next day. My question is does this not need the V code listed as the primary diagnosis or should the condition be listed first? Just want to make sure I instruct our billing dept correctly. Thank you:eek:

We have a practice that is billing out a E/M service 99213 with a 57 on the claim line. The patient is having a Pacemaker implant done the next day. My question is does this not need the V code listed as the primary diagnosis or should the condition be listed first? Just want to make sure I instruct our billing dept correctly. Thank you:eek:

modifier 57 is for E/M on the day of or the day before a procedure with 90 days global period. Unless the decision for surgery was made befor this E/M it should be ok.

I am going to assume you mean the condition/complication that brought the patient in.... Yes, I would say you should code the codition first for the E/ visit.