Wiki Deductible discount?

tomtom2

Networker
Best answers
We recently had a patient with a really high deductible owned to us. Our new AR manager wants to give the patient a discount on the deductible; because the patient is requesting one. I thought you always had to collect the deductible in full? I only do coding and normally stay out of AR issues, but thought this was odd. :confused:

Thanks

We recently had a patient with a really high deductible owned to us. Our new AR manager wants to give the patient a discount on the deductible; because the patient is requesting one. I thought you always had to collect the deductible in full? I only do coding and normally stay out of AR issues, but thought this was odd. :confused:

Thanks

You need to remember that the patients deductible is THEIR contract with the CARRIER. They agreed to that amount of the deductible in exchange for the amount of premium they pay each month. So no you cannot reduce any part of it.

Deductible Discount

You can give a discount on the back end if the patient is truly deserving of the discount after making a good faith effort to collect (3 statements) OR by documenting a true hardship exists. Just because the patient wants a discount doesn't mean they don't have the ability to pay.

If this patient has Medicare or it is a carrier your provider is contracted with, you probably cannot allow the discount without the good faith effort or financial harship documented.

Your office policy should be followed and if you don't have one, you should write one. Then, when patients ask for a discount, you can quote your office policy.