Wiki definiton of artery vs branch

kmwalker

New
Best answers
The CPT definition of 92920 is Angioplasty single major coronary artery or branch. And 92982 is the stent with angio artery or branch .

If the provider documents angioplasty on one (1) lesion in the Left Main and then places a stent another lesion in 1st Obtuse Marginal. Can 92920 and 92928. Be billed(this would be for a Medicare patient that bundles 92921 &92929.
This is to get clarification for an office that is interpreting the definitions differently.
Thanks for your help.

Angio of Left Main and Stent of First Obtuse

Can you use 92929 as the second code for stent placed in branch?
I would think that is the very definition of this code. I am not sure it even requires a modifier because it's an add-on code.
The reason I chose 92929 as the second code is because the primary (main artery) was non-stented and as the cath was passed into the branch, a stent was deployed.
Your 2 codes do bump because (in my thinking anyway) 92928 is a "primary" code same as 92920 so without a modifier they would kick out. So I would use 92920+92929. I could be incorrect but that's how I read it.

Last edited:
The CPT definition of 92920 is Angioplasty single major coronary artery or branch. And 92982 is the stent with angio artery or branch .

If the provider documents angioplasty on one (1) lesion in the Left Main and then places a stent another lesion in 1st Obtuse Marginal. Can 92920 and 92928. Be billed(this would be for a Medicare patient that bundles 92921 &92929.
This is to get clarification for an office that is interpreting the definitions differently.
Thanks for your help.

Main arteries of the Heart for angiogram/angioplasty

LM = Left Main
RI = Right Intermedius
LD = Left Anterior Descending : Branches Diag 1 Diag 2
RC = Right Coronary : Branches PDA PostLateral
LC = Left Circumflex : Branches OM1 OM2

In the scenario you present you have an initial PTCA (LM) and an Initial Stent Placement(OM) This is not an Add on because they are two different arteries being treated.