Wiki dehydration in pregnancy

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: E86.0

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Dehydration

Block: Metabolic disorders (E70-E88)

Excludes 1: androgen insensitivity syndrome (E34.5-)
congenital adrenal hyperplasia (E25.0)
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (Q79.6)
hemolytic anemias attributable to enzyme disorders (D55.-)
Marfan's syndrome (Q87.4)
5-alpha-reductase deficiency (E29.1)

Details: Dehydration

E86
Use additional code(s) for any associated disorders of electrolyte and acid-base balance (E87.-)

Excludes1: dehydration of newborn (P74.1)
hypovolemic shock NOS (R57.1)
postprocedural hypovolemic shock (T81.19)
traumatic hypovolemic shock (T79.4)

Guidelines: Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E89)

Excludes 1: transitory endocrine and metabolic disorders specific to newborn (P70-P74)

Note: All neoplasms, whether functionally active or not, are classified in Chapter 2. Appropriate codes in this chapter (i.e. E05.8, E07.0, E16-E31, E34.-) may be used as additional codes to indicate either functional activity by neoplasms and ectopic endocrine tissue or hyperfunction and hypofunction of endocrine glands associated with neoplasms and other conditions classified elsewhere.

For more details on E86.0, ICD-10 Code for Dehydration , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/

ggparker14

True Blue
Best answers
For dehydration in pregnancy without nausea and vomiting, is 643.1x an appropriate dx code?

Thanks for any help.

CodeJunkie

Best answers
Dehydration in pregnancy, without nausea and vomiting.

For dehydration in pregnancy without nausea and vomiting, is 643.1x an appropriate dx code?

I think I would be more comfortable going with 648.9x (pregnancy complicated by current condition (nonobstetric), specified condition NEC), plus 276.51 for the dehydration to further identify the complication.

643.1x would not be appropriate since it associates the dehydration with vomiting, which is not the case here.

Hope this helps.