Wiki Delivery question

kmikensana

Contributor
Best answers
Re: Coding together O80-normal delivery code and O69 and O70

Hello All,

We have a question and hope you can help. If the doctor documented laceration (O70) and nuchal cord entanglement (O69), do we code this as an uncomplicated or complicated delivery? And if it's coded as uncomplicated do we not report O70 and O69? Based on the guideline "O80 is not to be used if any other code from chapter 15 is needed to describe a current complication". Thanks in advance.

Response to your delivery question

You would not use O80 for this delivery. There isn't quite enough information for me to give you the exact codes, but I will give you an example below:

Patient delivered at 39 weeks gestation with a first degree laceration and nuchal cord without compression.

I would code this as:

O70.0
O69.81X0
Z3A.39
Z37.0

I hope this helps.

Tami Walker, CPC, COBGC

complication

laceration and nuchal cord entanglement is a type of complication and should not be coded along with O80, if it's a term delivery and the reason for admission is the delivery itself then your principal diagnosis should be the laceration code but if the reason for admission is for a different reason then the condition should be your principal (chapter 15 code).