Wiki Delivery with an OB Hospitalist

Best answers
One of my providers think that it is okay to bill for a global delivery if an OB Hospitalist delivers our patient's baby & placenta if our provider is in route and able to get to the hospital within the 30 minute window. Our provider states that this is considered a "courtesy delivery" and that we would still bill for the global service to commercial payers even if they are not under our Tax ID. I can not find any documentation to prove this is right or wrong. I personally do not feel like this is okay to bill for. I am trying to get documentation to prove why we shouldn't bill for this because my provider is insisting that it is okay to do. Any resources or advice on how to help this situation is greatly appreciated!

Hi. *Courtesy Delivery* is an agreement between providers (typically ER and OB) to share billed service, so it depends if they have something like this setup.
Normal scenario excerpt below and hope it helps.

Dr. Blue provides only antepartum and/or postpartum patient care and does not perform the delivery. Therefore, Dr. Blue should file the appropriate CPT code(s) for only the antepartum/postpartum care. Dr. Cross, who is unaffiliated with Dr. Blue’s practice, performs the delivery. Therefore, Dr. Cross should file the appropriate CPT code for only the delivery. In this scenario, the prenatal care, labor and delivery, and post-delivery care were provided by two different physicians in two different unaffiliated groups. A global CPT code is not applicable and should not be filed by either physician.

Richard