Wiki Dementia and Parkinson disease - ICD-10 Code for Parkinsons disease

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: G20
Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Parkinson's disease
Block: Extrapyramidal and movement disorders (G20-G26)
Details: Parkinson's disease
Hemiparkinsonism
Idiopathic Parkinsonism or Parkinson's disease
Paralysis agitans
Parkinsonism or Parkinson's disease NOS
Primary Parkinsonism or Parkinson's disease
Excludes 1: dementia with Parkinsonism (G31.83)
Guidelines: Diseases of the nervous system (G00-G99)
Excludes 2: certain conditions originating in the perinatal period (P04-P96)
certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00-B99)
complications of pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00-O9A)
congenital malformations, deformations, and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99)
endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E88)
injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88)
neoplasms (C00-D49)
symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00-R94)
For more details, visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/G20
Best answers
My patient has "dementia" and "Parkinson disease" with no cause-and-effect relationship implicitly stated by MD.

In coding these, my Encoder takes me to an option on Parkinson disease of:
1) With dementia
2) Parkinson disease alone

Because the guidelines state that "with" actually means "due to" or "associated with" and the MD did not specifically state the dementia was "due to" or "associated with" the Parkinson disease, do these still need coded together (331.82 dementia with Lewy bodies and 294.10 dementia in conditions classified elsewhere without behavioral disturbance (manifestation)...without an MD clarification, should these be coded as separate entities (332.0 Parkinson disease and 294.20 dementia unspecified without behavioral disturbance).

Thank you.

Last edited:

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
My patient has "dementia" and "Parkinson disease" with no cause-and-effect relationship implicitly stated by MD.

In coding these, my Encoder takes me to an option on Parkinson disease of:
1) With dementia
2) Parkinson disease alone

Because the guidelines state that "with" actually means "due to" or "associated with" and the MD did not specifically state the dementia was "due to" or "associated with" the Parkinson disease, do these still need coded together (331.82 dementia with Lewy bodies and 294.10 dementia in conditions classified elsewhere without behavioral disturbance (manifestation)...without an MD clarification, should these be coded as separate entities (332.0 Parkinson disease and 294.20 dementia unspecified without behavioral disturbance).

Thank you.
the index takes you to 332.0 with the 294.10.. it says dementia IN conditions classifiable elsewhere not due to.