Wiki Dementia and psychosis

snwhite0730

Contributor
Best answers
Hello Coders,

Once again I am hoping for some clarification. I code for an IP Behavioral health hospital and one of our providers exclusively sees our geriatric patients and by default handles most of our Medicare patients. A large portion of the patients we treat have dementia and are admitting for behaviors like agitation, verbal abuse, mood disorders, etc. Our provider uses Unspecified Psychosis and Major NCD as the final diagnosis on just about all of his discharge summaries. We have started getting denied claims from Triwest when F29 is the primary diagnosis followed by the F03 codes (depending on what behaviors are present).

Our billing office has been told that the codes aren't following Medicare guidelines? Is there a guideline I am missing when coding for dementia?

I have been wondering with regard to the F03 section specifically, since it is Unspecified dementia and not a manifestation code like F01 and F02 with a code first guidelines, can it be the Primary diagnosis?

Is there a better code to use for the psychosis? Should I be using a combination code for the dementia?

I feel like this is really about how the provider won't tie the psychosis to the dementia and uses Unspecified Psychosis but I really am at a loss. Any help is appreciated 🙂.

Hello SnWhite
Yes the dx blocks for various dementia situations have been updated .Please see dx F02A to F02C blocks. I'd have BH provider add why the patient has dementia.... ..due to illness or mood DO see dx F06 block. Also if the provider uses good description in notations see dx block R45-R46 and if pt has wandering add dx Z91.83 . This is bit more detailed to match supported documentation. If the patient has chronic conditions I d have them add that too such as dx I69, E11, I10, M18, M09, etc.
Well hope this data helps you
Lady T