Wiki Dementia/Delirium with Paranoia

vickiete

Best answers
How would you code (ICD-10) for the following: Dementia/Delirium with Paranoia[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]- She has had progressive delirium/dementia since May 2016 with worsening paranoia and delusions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.[/FONT]

How would you code (ICD-10) for the following: Dementia/Delirium with Paranoia[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]- She has had progressive delirium/dementia since May 2016 with worsening paranoia and delusions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.[/FONT]

I'm somewhat confused about what exactly the DX is. Dementia, delirium, and delusion are three separate medical conditions. I'll try to explain what I mean.
Dementia is a progressive, degenerative disorder lasting months and years; it is irreversible.
Delirium is a sudden, acute phase or state of altered mental status or loss of cognitive function lasting a few hours to a few weeks; it is usually reversible and the patient will return to their "regular" cognitive state.
Delusions (delusional thinking) are typically progressive (not sudden onset) where a person becomes convinced of something not based on reality.

What type of dementia is this? Are the delirium, the delusions, and paranoia manifestations of the dementia (I assume so)? Or are the delusions and paranoia part of the delirium episodes?

Typically you'd code the manifestation and underlying etiology together and only if the manifestation is present at the time of the visit. Example: Dementia without behavioral disturbances in Parkinson’s disease; Etiology – G20 Parkinson’s Disease; Manifestation – F02.80 Dementia in diseases classified elsewhere without behavioral disturbance