Wiki denial

john maceachern

Contributor
Best answers
pt has been admitted and is inpatient status,MD consults and decides to do surgery spends 35 minutes with pt. 99252-57 is what I'd like to code but making a decision for surgery seems a little more complexed than what's in this code or can i use cpt 99233-57 Subsequent Hos. Care because Md was preforming a hospital visit with a desicion for surgery??

Starting Jan 1 2010 Consultation codes are invalid when submitted to Medicare. The admitting physician should have use an AI modifier on his 9922x code and your physician will use a 9922x code as well then use the 57 modifier with that.

pt has been admitted and is inpatient status,MD consults and decides to do surgery spends 35 minutes with pt. 99252-57 is what I'd like to code but making a decision for surgery seems a little more complexed than what's in this code or can i use cpt 99233-57 Subsequent Hos. Care because Md was preforming a hospital visit with a desicion for surgery??

If there was a true request for consultation, your provider can bill an inpatient consultation (since this is 2009-Medicare I presume) with a modifier 57.