Wiki Denials for the CPT code 33999

TMB1965

Guru
Best answers
We are receiving a lot of denials regarding the CPT code 33999 for the placement of an atrial appendage clip. Can someone tell me if this code is always denied by all insurances as being considered experimental or if it is covered due to the Medical Necessity of the patient, and whether or not it can be appealed? Any information or resources regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

33999 is an unlisted procedure, cardiac surgery code. This is how the payers see it when you send the claim. You will always need to send a procedure note showing them where this is supported in the note and that it is not already included in another procedure performed and there is no other code you can use. Have you checked the category 3 codes to make sure a code has not been created? are you certain this is not inclusive to any other procedure performed. If this is performed percutaneously have you looked at 33340 which is a new code for 2017, the former 0281T code.

Last edited:
I am doing this from memory without any resources from my home but I believe 33340 is what I bill for this procedure for 2017.