Depression code vs Depression Screening codes

BROUTLEDGE

Contributor
Best answers
Good Thursday everyone,
I needing some help for on this issue, Can I code 311 with the depression screening code V79.0? if I can use both codes can I also use the G0444 for the CPT code for the screening?

Thanks
Brandi CPC-A

no once you have a dx of depression you can no longer screen for depression. Depression screening is for those that have yet to be diagnosed with depression.

What if the patient comes does not have a prior diagnosis of depression? If a screening is done and the provider determines the patient has depression on the same day, would you code both the screening along with the code for depression?

I see the response that a depression screening cannot be completed once a pt is diagnosed with depression. Depression screenings do not only check as to if the person is depressed, but also to what level and if there needs to be treament. I am not seeing anywhere in the Depression screening guidelines that this cannot be done once a pt is diagnosed with depression.

If the patient has depression and the provider is trying to determine the level then it is coded as depression. Not screening. Screening is for asymptomatic patients that do not have the issue that is being screened for. When medicare approved dression screening as a covered service one of the items they stated was that the patient cannot already have a dx of depressive disorder.

So in the earlier post Debra confirmed that we would code the screening code first followed by depression if the patient was screened and found to have depression on the same day. How would this work for ICD-10? For example, let's say a patient comes in for a Well Adult Exam and the provider does a screening for depression and determines the patient has depression. I know we would code Z00.01 since depression was the abnormal finding. Then we would code the abnormal finding of depression, F32.9. Would we still code the screening for depression? Or is that kind of obvious and redundant?

Last edited: