Wiki Dermatology Experts

Rgreen0118

Best answers
I have a family physician that is coding procedure 17281 with a diagnosis of 173.81. Can you assign a malignant dx without a path report? He has never done a biopsy. See the following:

Basal cell carcinoma of skin - New Problem (w/u needed) - on the nose and lower lip these lesions will be cryo treated as they are small , new and superficial in nature. If no response to the cryo, recommend we bx for proper diagnosis, and if positive will need to be excised.

173.81: Basal cell carcinoma of other specified sites of skin [/QUOTE]
Thanks in advance!

Although others on this forum have argued otherwise, my understanding is that if the doctor makes a clinical diagnosis, based on his observation, that this is a BCC, you can bill it as such.

Without a path report, there's no way to know if they're truly malignant. And your provider seems to be uncertain as well--"If no response to the cryo, recommend we bx for proper diagnosis, and if positive will need to be excised." It's too bad a bx wasn't done.

I would use the pre-malignant lesion codes 17000 for the 1st (nose) + 17003 for the 2nd (lower lip) with dx 238.2 for both codes (neoplasm skin face of uncertain behavior).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Actually, you would need to use 239.2 neoplasm of unspecified nature; you can only use 238.2 neoplasm of uncertain behavior IF you have a pathology report to back it up.. . given that the provider has not biopsied it yet, you would have to go w/239.2.

Hope that helps! Janelle