Wiki dermatology

If its separate lesions you can bill both and use modifier 59 (or the newish X mods if the carrier requires it)

If its the same lesion you cannot bill the biopsy code. The biopsy code means just a small sample of the lesion was taken out and not the whole thing

If you are using an add on code, the primary procedure to which it is added will need the 59/X- modifier. For instance, if you are doing biopsy 11100) and a destruction (17000) to different lesions, the biopsy needs the 59 modifier. 11101 wouldn't need the 59 because you've already identified the separate lesion/structure/site with the primary biopsy code.

I have a physician asking me ". I have a child with residuum of an infantile hemangioma, now 4 yo, with remaining blood vessels in skin and occasional bleeding; I wouldn’t consider it “proliferating” but it is causing symptoms." She is wanting to treat the pt was a laser and I can not find a CPT for non proliferating that would cover hemangiomas. Would you suggest an unlisted code for this due to the dx?

thank you!!! Sorry this is off the topic but I really appreciate and need any advice on this.

I think the original poster was asking if add-on codes require modifier 59/XS if the primary code needs the modifier.

Answer: Yes/No.

It's carrier dependent.

Many carriers will assume the add-on code is also modified if the primary code is modified with 59 or XS (for example) and don't need it

Some carriers WANT you to add modifier 59/XS for add-on codes if the primary code needs it.

You have to figure out which carriers want the add-ons modiifed if the primary is modified.

Example 1:

17000 (XS or 59) <-- according to NCCI edits

Example 2: with add-on code

17003 (XS or 59) <-- some carriers want this for add-on codes too!

Example 3: with add-on code

17003 no modifier <-- some carriers assume that if primary is modified with XS or 59, that the add-on code is also separate and identifiable by default and they don't want a separate modifier.