Wiki dermoscopy

Best answers
Hello,

I code for a plastic surgeon who specializes in Skin Oncology. He uses a dermascope to examine skin lesions for every patient he sees, and I am wondering if there is a billing opportunity for dermoscopy.

I have not found any information about billing for dermoscopy in our coding resources/publications, but it is mentioned in several insurance polices that I reviewed.

Some policies list cpt 96904 Whole body integumentary photography, for monitoring of high risk patients with dysplastic nevus syndrome or a history of dysplastic nevi, or patients with a personal or familial history of melanoma , but I'm not sure that describes the dermascopic exams we perform. Photographs are not stored, and dermoscopy is sometimes performed on a single lesion, not whole body.

The policies also list cpt 96999 Unlisted special dermatological service or procedure, but I'm not sure what documentation would need to be provided to bill dermoscopy as an unlisted service in this way.

I would love to network, if your physician performs dermoscopy.

Thank you very much!

Carrie
cmcnamee@hmc.psu.edu

Our dermatologists use a dermascope regularly, and we bill it as a regular exam.

If you find out otherwise from the manufacturer that you purchase from, please let us know!