Wiki Dermotology

Tenniers

New
Best answers
I need some help understanding shave of the lesion to remove and confirm diagnosis especially when lesion is cancer.
an excision removal. this may seem like a simple question just want to make sure am doing it correctly

Hello,
I guess what am trying to ask is when documentation say shave of lesion to remove and confirm DX and if the DX comes back cancer. Do you still use the shave removal codes 11300-11313 with BX 11102 or do we use the excision malignant codes. I know we would determine the code by the size of lesion removed.

Shaving and Excision are both unique procedures in regards how they remove a lesion. Each type has a unique approach when it comes to doing it.

If your documentation for the procedure supports shaving, then it will be coded to that, and if you look how the shaving procedure works, it pretty much includes an excision. So the diagnosis should not change your approach on the type of procedure performed. Excision and shaving they both required different techniques so code the procedure to what its supported.

Hope this helps!

Yes, thank you that does help!
Do you or anyone else here have any interesting website for Dermatology that you use.
Am a little new to the Derm world.. LOL