Wiki Diabetes and Hyperglycemia

LoveAndLight

Best answers
Hello,
I was just told that if the pt has DM, and also has hyperglycemia, we do not code DM with Hyperglycemia, it must be linked.
The pt I'm looking at has Chronic hyperglycemia, improved, and DM with cataract.
I looked in the guidelines, and I must've missed it (I'm at work and trying to work fast).
Could you tell me the reason why we need to have the provider link them, in order to capture DM with Hyperglycemia??

Thanks a milion!!

Last edited:
Hyperglycemia can not be coded with DM as hyperglycemia excludes DM. However, DM is a more definitive DX, therefore, I would just code the DM.

Per Coding clinic it is appropriate to code both using the new combination codes in ICD-10:

Issue: Third

Title: Diabetic Mellitus with Hyperglycemia

Body:
Question:

Is it appropriate to assign a code for hyperglycemia together with another diabetes code? For example, if hyperglycemia is documented along with type 2 diabetic retinopathy, should multiple diabetes codes be assigned?. .

Answer:

Yes, assign codes E11.319, Type 2 diabetes mellitus with unspecified diabetic retinopathy without macular edema, and E11.65, Type 2 diabetes mellitus with hyperglycemia. Any combination of the diabetes codes can be assigned together, unless one diabetic condition is inherent in another.